What is the cost of studying in Paris?
What is the cost of studying in Paris?
As anywhere else, the cost of living is higher in the capital than in other parts of the country. A general estimation for a year of study in France would be 10 000â‚¬ to 13 000â‚¬ for international students. In late June 2017, 1â‚¬ = 1.12$.
However, do not be afraid.
Studies are much cheaper in France compared to the United States or United Kingdom. Since we know how important the costs are for students, we will break down everything you should know about the price of studying in France for international students.
France is a popular country for international students, mainly because of the low cost of education, and because its culture is renowned all around the globe. Now, letâ€™s see what is the cost of living in Paris.
The cost of living in Paris
To live correctly without any help, you will need approximately 1 100â‚¬ in Paris, but it can be much more depending on where you live (in the center or in the suburbs) and on your lifestyle.
Example: here is an approximation for normal expenses in Paris.
|Meals||2 meals at an University restaurant 3.25 â‚¬ x 2
Meal at McDonalds 8â‚¬
Light weekly grocery bill 30-40â‚¬
|Rent/month||Studio apartment with the CROUS (see below) 300â‚¬-500â‚¬
1 bedroom apartment 800-1000â‚¬
|Phone and internet access and electricity/month||Total 130â‚¬|
|Public transport||Yearly pass for a student 333.90â‚¬
Taxi 1 hour 35â‚¬
Gasoline 1L 1.38â‚¬
|Other expenses (examples)||Fitness club for an adult 50â‚¬
Pair of jeans 85â‚¬
Movie seat 10.50â‚¬
Source: Numbeo for Paris
There are a lot of Â« rĂ©sidences universitaires Â» (student accommodation) and Â« restos universitaires Â» (university restaurants) where you can benefit from your student status. Indeed, prices are much lower than what you could find outside these structures:
- University restaurant: With your student card, you can expect a full meal for around 3-6â‚¬.
- University Library: You can take advantage of promotions for printing which will save you up to 50-70% off the normal price.
- Discounts on a lot of cultural and fun activities you will find in Paris: football club, theater, skating rink, free museum passes, swimming poolsâ€¦
Expenses in tuition and others
Tuition fees: Studying in Paris in a private school such as The American Business School can cost a few thousand euros depending on the program you chose. If you want to know more about the tuition fees, check our dedicated page.
Grants: Funding for studies can be reduced with a scholarship. Foreign students can usually be granted scholarships based on social or meritocratic criteria. Please inform yourself long time in advance. You may apply for a lot of scholarships. We invite you to check the official website to discover all the possibilities.
Social security and complementary health
Every foreign student who wants to study in France needs social security but you really donâ€™t have to worry about that before coming to France. You just need to know that affiliation to the Social Security is made during your administrative registration. You will have to pay around 200â‚¬. It allows you to be covered for the risks of illness and hospitalization during your studies.
Notice: Social Security does not reimburse 100% of the cares, so you will need to subscribe to an additional healthcare cover (student mutual fund) which will cost you between 6â‚¬ and 50â‚¬ per month. The best-known student mutual funds are LMDE and MEP.
Tips by a student
Here are a some tips and things to know for foreign students interested in studying in Paris, written by a student:
- Leboncoin: it is a portal for selling new and secondhand goods throughout the whole country and there is a section dedicated to accommodation.
- A lot of French students do not go through professional agencies to find an apartment for rent because of the high cost of the services.
- Blablacar: it is the world’s largest long-distance ridesharing community, connecting drivers with empty seats to people travelling to the same destination.
- The CROUS: it is an organization that helps students in a lot of ways. They usually have restaurants where you can copiously eat for less than 5â‚¬.
- Bicycle rental: in Paris, Velibâ€™ can be very useful. Itâ€™s the biggest company for bike sharing system. 10â‚¬/week.
- Phone applications for Paris: RATP, Le Parisien Sortie, Lâ€™internaute Restos, Free Wifi Paris.
If you want to study in Paris and you still are looking for a school, The American Business School offers a lot of programs in international business!