Part of the IGS Group
  • fr
  • en

International students in France: what you need to know

If you are francophone, please read our page : “ Etudier en France ”.


An increasing number of international students have chosen France for their higher education studies. Studying in France not only lets you experience the local culture by yourself, it also ensures you internationally-recognized diplomas and tremendous working experiences in Europe, which is a major asset in one’s resume. International students often say “But I don’t speak French”! Actually, the higher education in France has been undergoing a vast process of internationalization for several years, and The American Business School of Paris offers study programs that are taught in English. Therefore, you’ll still be able to study in France even if the only words you know are “Bonjour” and “Au revoir”.

Is studying in France expensive?


French higher education is renowned for its quality, but also for its reasonable price. The education system is based on equality regardless of your nationality. Once you’re admitted by an academic institution, you pay exactly the same fee as locals. Besides, international and local students enjoy exactly the same benefits, like the “social security” or the mandatory medical insurance. The government will actually bear around 60% of your medical expenses. Students usually buy an optional medical insurance to reimburse the remaining 40% so that they don’t need to pay anything for any medical consultations. In addition, you can benefit from certain subsidies. A legal full-time student staying more than 2 months in France is eligible for applying the housing subsidy which may represent a half of their monthly rent. Full-time students in France have the legal right to work part-time. Besides financing your studies, you’re also gaining valuable working experience. There is a variety of price reduction for all students too.

Why should you study in France?


The French higher education system is well-established with 3 years of Licence (Bachelor’s degree), 2 years of Master’s degree and 3 years of Doctorate (PhD).

Being a student in France will inspire you a lot in such a multi-cultural environment. It also the best way to experience French art of living, or what locals call “Art de vivre”. Literature, gastronomy, cinema, museums are all part of everyday life in France. Moreover, with The American BusinessSchool of Paris, you will have great working experiences in France or even in another European country.

How to get started?


Our BBA program offers a dual degree from The American Business School of Paris. Since 2009, students can obtain a French diploma as well, as the program is now fully recognized by the RNCP (French national directory of professional certification). The BBA program is accredited by IACBE (International Accreditation Council for Business Education) since 2004.

Our Bachelor in Fashion and Luxury Retail Management is a 3-year European curriculum developed at the request and with a major input from leaders in the luxury goods sector.

The American Business School of Paris also offers 3 first-class MBA degrees:

  • Geopolitics and International Business
  • Entrepreneurship and International Business Development
  • Communications and Project Management

For more details, see how to apply to The American Business School of Paris!

Nationals of EU member countries


If you are a citizen of a European Union member or of the European Economic Area (which includes UE members and Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway), you can apply directly to The American Business School of Paris. No particular process is required, not even a visa. You’ll just have to follow the online post-baccalauréat admission process, as French students do.

If you live a UE country but you’re not a citizen, you’ll have to apply for a student visa at the French consulate.

Students from all around the world (India, USA, Canada …)


France is also one of the most popular study destinations for American and Canadian students. Relatively low tuition fees, English taught programs and the perspectives of travelling across Europe are the certainly appealing.

While their usual options are USA, UK, Canada and Australia, Indian students are more and more disposed to explore new destinations beyond the Big Four. Indians love France’s mixed culture and the promising job prospects.

If you are a citizen or a legal resident over the age of 18 in a country outside EU, you must first complete the Campus France application process and then apply for a visa.

Bon courage !